Monday, April 13, 2009

Curse of the Unemployed: Overqualified applicants

Got this as part of an email today:

"Thank you for your patience in regards to feedback from the hiring manager. The quality of applications for this position has been particularly high and we regret to inform you that we will not be moving forward with your application."

The quality of the applications for this position has been particularly high? Well, since I have 28 years of experience at this particular position, the quality must be extraordinarily high. Like Mount Everest high. Like, overqualified. Like, people who are overeducated who are out of work and willing to do the kind of work I've been doing for the past 20+ years.

Yeah, it's fun out here. It really is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got that exact response, word for word, on plenty of applications. Are recruiters / hiring managers just cutting & pasting? Many of these are positions I am absolutely qualified for, or even slightly over qualified.

Steph said...

What can I say, I would be thrilled even to get a brush-off like this one. I am starting to believe that all of the CVs and letters I sent over the past 6+ months I must have put through a shredder instead of a letterbox, as I do not even get fake 'with compliments' slips, nor 'thanks but no thanks' letters. If only I had known in my teens that £20k worth of further edu, fluency in three European languages and eight years worth of business experience would have yielded un-employability across the board at 30... I would have actually enjoyed myself a lot more. I wish you all the best,

Steph~

Web Analytics