Sunday, October 12, 2008

Saturday night guitars


It's been a quiet weekend here. It's getting chilly as fall really settles in. We're still getting pretty fall days, and we're enjoying them. I've learned not only to enjoy but also appreciate whatever is free in this world. A pretty sunrise or moonrise, like we have out there right night now, a crisp night, a walk through the city with good friends are things that I've learned can't be replaced by wide screen TVs and all the trappings with which so many people fill their lives. Simple and free is the way to go.

Of course, the economy is on my mind, so free is the way more and more people will have to be thinking. I'm believe this will be a whole new way of life for many people, living with less, living within their means, and I think it's for the better. I sometimes think we've not only bankrupt our treasury, we've also bankrupted our lives. I think so many people have compromised themselves and their values all in the cause of materialism they don't even realize it any more.

We're pretty good at living on the cheap, but we don't look at it like that though. We just enjoy pretty simple things in life. It's a Sunday night, and right now I can hear her strumming on Vida in the other room. We grilled out last night and tonight, and tonight's chicken marinaded all day with a stray bottle of salad dressing we had in the 'fridge. Last night we sat on the floor with a bottle of wine between us, each cradling a guitar until around 11:00.

Before we went to bed we checked out Mad Men on Youtube, something I've seen clips of and have heard so much about. I feel I'm missing something when I hear people, especially at work, go on and on about the TV shows they watch, then I see them and can't for the life of me figure out what all the fuss is about. So I just keep quiet (well, maybe not here I don't) but it just seemed to me to be the same old same old, albeit some high quality same old same old. Good-looking white people, each one with a single distinguishing personality characteristic, then you just overlap small scenes of semi-outrageous behavior and include pithy dialogue that doesn't really appear in real life. I guess I'm jaded (I guess?--are you kidding? I'm the definition of jaded.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, tried watching Mad Men. Like you, I had heard the hype, so I thought, "OK, what's all the fuss about? It must have some sort of appeal. Let's give it a shot."

It's pathetically awful. What's wrong with people?

Hope all is well with you.

Kristy

Web Analytics