Tuesday, December 9, 2008

MBTA hits a home run with Big Red cars on the Red Line

Man, is it true? Is the T really starting to use its collective noodle? Actually opening the eyes for a little visionary thinking?

I got on the Red Line yesterday at DTX after work and almost fell over. Fell over because the car wasn't crammed with people who propped me up. There was space to stand and move around. I didn't have some dope's backpack whacking me in the back because the idiot is too clueless to realize that every time he moves his backpack whips around like a lizard's tail. That's because it was one of the T's experimental Big Red cars--Red Line cars without seats.

The T is experimenting with running two cars without seats in the middle of a train. To me, this is pure heaven. I pretty much stand on the train anyway. I'm fit and healthy and choose to give the seats to people who need them, like the elderly, pregnant woman, and people who generally look like they could use taking a load off their feet. And yeah, it makes my teeth grind to watch young or fit people elbow and hip check people out of their way to get their precious seat. Bunch of fat asses. It's just the way I was raised, and yeah, I open doors for women, too. Call me old-fashioned.

And I don't want to be crammed, butt-cheek to jowl, with people whose ankles buckle from the sheer weight of the pachyderm-like body types.

Yeah, it's nice to sit down for the ride when it's not crowded, open a magazine, read, like I did on this morning's commute. But it's a subway, not a luxury liner. I'm getting on to get someplace. There aren't enough seats for everyone, and I'm fine with that. The T might want to think about a 50/50 split in the cars, opening up the space a bit, but still leaving seats for the people who really need them.

Nice going, MBTA. Keep the ideas coming. Not everyone's gonna like this, but you can't please everyone.

The T is looking for feedback here.

No comments:

Web Analytics