Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Honey Must Love Me...

...because look what came in the mail yesterday.

This.

While working on my dramaturgy dossier on Trojan Barbie for contemporary drama, I was first turned onto, then fell in love with the Greek tragedy. I knew very little about Greek mythology and even less about Greek tragedy and the works of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, but the more I learned, the more I got sucked in. (It was nice to learn that when she took the commission to adapt Trojan Women, Christine Evans also knew very little about Greek tragedy and basically familiarized herself through an independent study while working on her doctorate at Brown.) We saw Euripides' Ajax at the ART a few weeks ago, and it was amazing--2,500 years old and still relevant today. The human emotion still current.

People are always amazed that Sue and I don't have a television; I haven't had one for maybe six years now. People always ask us what we do if we don't watch television.

First, we do still follow the news online and there's Netflix for our entertainment. But we're also psyched about sitting together and popping in these DVDs. Sue calls it brain night. We'll actually sit down with a pizza or maybe a bowl of SmartFood. Sue props herself up on the couch; I'm amazed how she can sit with her feet tucked under her with her knees to her chin. Maybe some people thinks it's boring. Maybe some people think we're just nerds. Frankly, I don't understand how people can spend a good portion of their lives following fat, spoiled, overpaid athletes or following some television series with a lame plot line.

I mean, the Greeks did it first and did it so much better.

No comments:

Web Analytics