Thursday, March 6, 2008

Downtown Crossing Christian pains-in-the-you-know-what

Sunday brings on daylight savings time. It's March, and in New England there still should be snow on the ground, but I walked around Downtown Crossing today with my coat open.

And a sure sign of spring coming is those loony Christians with their sketch pads on Downtown Crossing. I guess they figured out what other communicators figured out a long time ago: Use pictures and you'll increase readership/viewership substantially. I guess people are so used to staring at the television that if someone stands there and hollers out inanities but is drawing pictures at the same time people actually will stop.

And again, I asked the question: Would someone please explain to me why I have to be subjected to that during the one short time in my day when I'm looking just for some peace? It's their first amendment rights? Uh, do I have any rights?

I have to say, raised a Catholic, I gave up on Jesus and all that a while ago. There ain't no heaven, and there ain't no hell. I think the bible is a wonderful book. I haven't read the entire thing, but enough of it. I think there are great stories in there on how to live your life right. And I think Jesus was a great man. He brought love and kindness to a world when it didn't exist before. He realized that we need love and kindness for our own survival. It was couched in spiritual survival, but as a species that is not only capable but seems hell-bent on killing ourselves, emotions like love and kindness and sympathy and forgiveness--all the things that Jesus preached we should have--keep the species alive.

But I think however the world is made up, I think it's a lot closer to the Einsteinian universe consisting of multiple and parallel universes, where we repeat our lives over and over again.

I think the universe as described by Christians dumbs down something as great as a Creator and the universe. It makes it so they, the dumb nuts standing out on Downtown Crossing, can understand it.

No comments:

Web Analytics