Sunday, August 10, 2008

What kind of accent do you have?


Find out what kind of accent you have.

Living in Quincy and hanging around Boston you hear people just butchering English. Dropping the letter A and adding ER and God knows what else. But that's okay. I love it. I love trying figure out if you're from Quincy or Southie or Revere. And I think you should be proud of who you are and how you speak.

When I first moved to Boston from southern Ohio I worked in an ad agency, full of real "stiff necks." If you don't know what a stiff neck is, you weren't raised in the south, or near it (like I was.) But I was standing in a group of people once, and this one woman asked in front of all these people, "Do you eat opossum?" I was mortified. Embarrassed. I got it, though: She thought I was stupid or something, simply based on the way I talk, droppin' Gs and just sort of drawing words out. And that insult stuck. For the longest time I was careful about how I talked. I'm older now. A lot older. And now I don't give a shit one way or another what you think of me.

Here you can find out what kind of accent you have.

I'm no so sure about the analysis. After all , they didn't ask me if I "warshed my head" or if I fried egss in a skillet or a fryin' pan. And aren't the Midlands in England?

You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...I got the same as you. I was born and raised in SoCal by parents born and raised in SoCal. Maybe this just means that we are actors!

Web Analytics