Friday, January 11, 2013

Every day...

Every day, I try to do three things:

1) Something good for myself.
2) Something good for someone else.
3) Something good for the world.

If you think it sounds easy. Try it once. And keep trying it everyday.

Even the first one is hard to do.  We have so many encroachments in our lives. Things that exert demands on us for our time and energy that sometimes we don't even have time for a meal, much lesss time for something that will really be good for us. We have to really like ourselves to pull this one off with any degree of consistancy, because the biggest obstacle is the idea that if we do something for ourselves, we're being selfish.

The second is easy to do if the opportunity presents itself. Taking time to listen to your spouse/partner. Smile at a stranger on the subway. The second one is usually my favorite.

The third is hugely egotistical, isn't it? I'm going to do something for the entire world. I tend to think small. I think recyling in my mulch pile is helping the world. Walking instead of driving to the store. That sort of thing.

What do you think? Are these good ideas? What do you do for yourself, for others, and the world?

No comments:

Web Analytics