Thursday, August 30, 2007

A change of pace

The day is gorgeous and although I was running behind this morning thanks again to the commuter running about fifteen minutes late, I decided to get off one stop early, at Chinatown, to stretch my legs.

Walking up Washington Street towards Downtown Crossing, I was pulled along by the city's energy, and today Boston gave up all the reasons why I love this city. It can be cold, oh so cold and I'm not just talking about the winters. People here can be so rude and opportunity slim.

This little part of Boston is where the real Bostonians live their lives. Not the white Brahmans, the Yankees with the bow ties that people associate with Boston, but African-Americans, Latinos, Asians, white working stiffs, of which I count myself as one. A pair of cops walking their beat, a couple of blue-collars unloading their truck. The old Paramount, getting refitted and she's already looking so proud. Shop carts were opening up, another day and another day survived against urban revival, renewal, gentrification...everyone has a different name for it depending on how much money they have in their pocket. Some of the homeless were still curled up under grey moving blankets. I noticed two spooning, just like Sue and I do. And just the ordinary people, again, one of whom I count myself among, filling in the blanks.

Lyrics and images and stories popped into my head. Life, maybe not the way some or even most don't want to live it but there's no denying it, is out on the streets.

No comments:

Web Analytics