Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Blast off

Takeoff. Blast off. Thirty-four years ago was the first time I felt a plane leave the ground, my impression was that of a carnival ride the second the jet broke free from the ground, that soft, cushy feeling of the air holding me up. So this is what it feels to fly, I remember thinking. I was a teenager who turned his back on everything, put everything down on one roll of the dice, and won. For so many years I wondered where that boy went. What ever happened to that person I was? That person who wasn’t afraid to take risks and was so excited about the size of the earth. That person I could be. Today in Boston I felt that carnival ride once again. Leaving the earth, breaking the bond that holds us to the earth and letting loose onto the world, free again.

No comments:

Web Analytics