Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's another school year

That means dealing with high school teachers and administrators again. A long time ago, once I, well, I don't want to say once I grew up but when I got to be a certain age when others of a certain age started calling me, sir, when I got to be that age I noticed that people who work in our schools are kind of bullies. They are so used to this uncontested power they have, that they just assume they can hold sway over everyone. Even other adults. It's kind of cute, really. They're so vulnerable but they have no idea because all their lives they've lived with certainty that they are in control, but they don't live in the same world the rest of us do. They're still back in high school.

There's this guy at Kathryn's high school who rides around in a golf cart patrolling the parking lot. That in itself is so silly; if he really knew what he looked like he wouldn't go within a hundred yards of the thing. But I guess he doesn't know or care, because he rides around in the thing full throttle. He's this young guy with Dockers and a necktie. Good grief. The traffic is backed up, but God almighty, you got to do what he says or else Mr. Whatever The Hell His Name Is, Mr. Traffic Cone Man will write you up.

I told my first kid all she had to do was get through the school system and she'd be fine. Just get through it. And that's what I tell my second one, too.

No comments:

Web Analytics