Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Leaving AngryTown

Left AngryTown yesterday a.m. Sue took me to the airport. One last and lasting memory of Boston is the angry toll collector on the Mass Pike who got mad at me while I dug for change. He lectured me on having the correct change when I pulled up to the booth. Sue flipped him off as we pulled away. As I heard a comedian say once about these guys, their job is to make change, how hard is that? Maybe it’s just from living in Boston so long, knowing how hard life can be, but I have to wonder how his day was going. Maybe he just learned a loved one has cancer (something I’ve experienced), maybe the bills are piling up and the kids are driving him crazy and he’s watching his life leave him as he sits in a toll booth on the Mass Pike. But, do I have to take the brunt of it? When does he take responsibility and quit dumping it on strangers? You get his sort a lot in Boston, and Sue and I talked about just how tired we are of Boston, of the angry people, of people who just don’t share our view of the world and the way it should be.

No comments:

Web Analytics