Monday, July 2, 2007

Summer Monday morning

Woke up this morning at 4:00 and left the Cape at 4:30 to get to work on time. At some point in the middle of the night I woke up not knowing where I was. Normally I can hear Bob gently snoring next to my bed. Then I felt Sue next to me and it was all right.

Driving off Cape over the Sagamore Bridge with the morning light coming up on my right over the distant bay is a mournful way to start a day. Leaving. Abandoning the things that count. Leaving the water and the sun and Sue behind to go work in an office. The Cape tugging at my soul. It's July, and the summer clock is ticking.

The farther north and the later the morning gets the meaner the drivers get. There are some people you don't want to get near to when they're in their cars, much less sit next to them in an office, stand in a line with them at the CVS.

Walking into an empty apartment and starting the morning routine from a standing start. The shirt I wore to work last week still hanging over the chair at the table. A few dishes left in the sink.

No comments:

Web Analytics