Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Malcolm Holcombe


It's always a good day when I find a new musician, and I mean one that blows my socks off.

Malcolm Holcombe is written up in the March/April issue of American Songwriter, and as I started reading the reviewer, Steven Rosen, used all the right words to get me interested.

An Appalachian Townes Van Zandt. (In my mind one of the greatest American songwriters ever.)

A 52-year-old western North Carolinian (which means he's got some experience and from the hills.)

His new album is produced by the same guy, Ray Kennedy, who has produced for Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle. (The old birds of a feather idea.)

Not pop. (Jackpot! You can keep your CMT Awards.)

A voice that's raw and groaning. (Denotes character.)

And Rolling Stone said:
"Not quite country, somewhere beyond folk, Holcombe's music is a kind of blues in motion,
mapping backwoods corners of the heart." ~David Fricke

There's a wonderful video of him at Studio Southtv, where he recorded. You get a real good idea of who he is, and what his music is like. He's real country, and by that I mean real like the people who live in the country.

Here's Mama Told Me So



Tell me this guy ain't the real deal.

No comments:

Web Analytics