Thursday, April 10, 2008

Katie Couric, in or out?


Is Katie Couric still in? Is she getting yanked from her anchor job? Is this something anyone really cares about? Why do we care about people on television and the movies? I could no more care about whether or not Katie Couric will have a job than I care about Paris Hilton's crotch or Britney Spears' bald head. And no offense to Katie, who actually seems like a really nice person, though I'm really not into her brand of perky, the status of her job ranks right up there with crotches and bald heads.

Lots of people establish these bonds, what perversely pass for relationships, with these people on the screen, both big and little. No wonder Facebook and your list of "friends" and other social networking sites are so popular. It's the level of relationship that people are used to. The digital world really is just one step removed from the electronic world on television.

People had withdrawal from during the TV writers' strike. People have shows, as in, I have to watch my show(s). Whether it's CSI, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, America's Next Bachelor, Bachelorette, or Majorette. It's been months since I watched television. Months. And I don't miss it one bit.

No comments:

Web Analytics