Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spate of violence sets off worries...

Please, let's hope the craziness isn't beginning.

From today's Globe:

"A 20-year-old Boston man died and at least five other people were injured in a spate of shootings across the city yesterday that raised concerns about a possible spike in violence as the weather warms. Law enforcement officials said they did not believe the three separate shooting episodes were related. The bloodshed began early yesterday with the wounding of a 13-year-old in the South End and flared late yesterday afternoon with a deadly shooting in Jamaica Plain and more gun violence in Dorchester that left four people injured.

In Jamaica Plain, Luis Troncoso (left) became the city's 18th slaying victim this year, compared with 17 at the same time last year. He was shot about 4 p.m. on a basketball court at Southwest Corridor Park and was pronounced dead shortly after at Brigham and Women's Hospital, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney's office."

And on the Red Line just this morning, I'm standing there minding my own business, listening to some Jim Cuddy, nice country stuff to get me into my day, when right behind me, right in my ear, I hear some yelling. This happened after the train lurched and a man fell onto a little Asian woman sitting down. I felt him fall against me, too. He apologized profusely to the little lady, who seemed as if she didn't want any part of anything.

Southie accent: What'r'you lookin' at?

I turn and get a whiff of booze. Some big, loud lout. He's yelling at a few people farther up the car who, indeed, are looking at him. One, a woman, is dressed in full Boston Marathon regalia.

Southie accent: Take a fuckin' picture. It'll last longer.

I guess he was drunk, he stumbled, and attracted some attention. Even though he was drunk, he still was like a mad rhino. Not someone you want to fuck with at any time of day.

And so it goes in the city...

No comments:

Web Analytics