Friday, February 16, 2007

The Junkies are comin' to Boston



One of my all-time favorite bands, the Cowboy Junkies, is coming to the Boston area, and I had a yellow post-it note tacked to my monitor to remind me that tickets went on sale today at 10:00. By 10:11 I had third row center seats.

This is an excerpt from an IM I had with my daughter today. Both posts are mine:

(12:47:49 PM): That's right...things are okay when I'm with Sue or I have a guitar in my hand...
(12:48:01 PM): Funny, you discovered that about music before I did

I was talking to her about a personal problem I was dealing with. Funny, I never would have discussed my personal life with my parents, but I talk with my kids about just about everything. Today, it was about the woman who broke up our family, and how I might have to see her at a party.

This woman stole everything from my soul, and she gave nothing in return. She lied about the way she felt about me, so convincingly that I actually left my family for her. It turns out it was just a lark for her. She tried on me and my life the same way she would have tried on a coat at Macy's, looking at herself this way and that in a mirror, and not liking what she saw so she just shrugged me off onto the floor to try on something else. I can't think of one thing she gave me except a ton of grief and bad memories. Every memory starts out good, and just turns rotten. I shared with her everything I was passionate about, including the Junkies. And I know some people think it's just music, what's the big deal? She's like that, too, not understanding the real meaning of the things we hold close to our heart.

This is the sort of thing the Junkies sing about. About broken love and hearts and remorse. And the ironic thing is I know this woman listens to their music, commiserating, not understanding that she is the other side of what they are singing about. Poor thing, she feels so sorry for herself, not realizing or caring she's one who causes the hurt and pain, too selfish to understand and that if she'd just make some changes in her life a lot of pain would stop, both in her life and others. But all she can think about is herself.

No comments:

Web Analytics