Tuesday, October 2, 2007

When coyotes yell

Worked on it some more last night and here's where it went...starting to think of the tune a bit...it's coming...it's so much fun and so exciting to see a song come alive...

Sue gave me Jonatha Brooke's CD, Plumb, for my birthday. Love the way she writes, love her lyrics and the surprises that come out of the way her songs turn this way and that.

I woke from a bad troubled sleep with somebody on my mind---
I pushed aside the tent flap,
and saw my old friend, the hunter and his dog coming up behind.

What are you doing? I asked. You weren’t due back for another few months,
I couldn’t imagine something wrong, and if there was
I couldn’t imagine him coming to me in a song.

Everything was right, everything was bright, and that’s when the coyotes started to fight.
Ever notice how everyone likes to hear the coyotes yell,
but no one invites them to set a spell?

I pulled on my pants pulled on my boots
and we walked for awhile in the desert night.
I said you always bring a chill, and he laughed and said you have no idea,
and I laughed and said oh maybe I do.
That’s when he looked at me and I looked back
and suddenly felt myself grow a little bit slack.
I gulped real hard and said, now? And he said, well maybe, it was up to me.
My dog’s getting old and so am I,
but still not sure the time is right and he said that’s fine, there’s time.

Everything was right, everything was bright, and that’s when the coyotes started to fight.
Ever notice how everyone likes to hear the coyotes yell,
but no one invites them to set a spell?

We walked some more and he asked me about you,
wondered if I’d miss you and I said sure, you would too.
He didn’t say nothing about that, just shouldered his pack
and gave me that smile, and said, I’ll be back in a while,
how ‘bout you?
Yeah, sure I guess, but I don’t know when,
I wish I did but you know and my voice trailed off then.
He gave a whistle I did too, his dog came running but you know Gus,
he’s always sniffing around for something to fuss..

I couldn’t follow and I couldn’t go back, the desert’s got a way of doing that and that’s when the coyotes started to fight. Ever notice how everyone likes to hear the coyotes yell, but no one invites them to set a spell?

No comments:

Web Analytics