Monday, October 1, 2007

You gotta watch the left as much as the right

The introductory conversation around the breakfast table always includes where ya'll from. One woman, obviously a lover of oats and groats from her overall demeanor and subdued clothes, said she was from Burlington, Vermont.

It's filled with liberals, she said. It's a great place to live.

If you're a liberal, I said. Which I'm not.

Nor am I a conservative. I, quite frankly, feel you have to watch the left as much as you watch the right in this country. I've gone from being someone who used to read three newspapers a day (and write for one on a consistant basis) to someone who really can't tell a Democrat from Republican. No one seems to represent who I am, what I'm about, and what I value. I can't stand the present administration, but can't believe that Al Gore was the best the Democrats could come up with in 2004.

I'm more prone to throw my support behind people who use their influence to help the world. Say what you want about Bono and his collosal ego, but he's trying to make the world a better place. Lance Armstrong is another one, who is leveraging his money and his fame to change the world. I'm gonna get flack on this one, but Don Imus and his ranch out west is helping little kids with cancer.

No comments:

Web Analytics