Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The hardest thing I've ever done

"The man that shot you died in prison.

In Angola. Yes.

What would you have done if he'd been released?

I dont know. Nothin. There wouldnt be no point to it. There aint no point to it. Not to any of it.

I'm kindly surprised to hear you say that.

You wear out, Ed Tom. All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more going out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it."

It's hard. It's hard to get past the anger and the injustice and the unfairness when someone gets away with something big and mean. When someone gets away with murder. But the anger just feeds on you, not on the person who caused it. They couldn't care less how you feel. They wouldn't have done what they did if they cared about you. And the anger will never go away completely. It eventually will go down deep inside you, and surface occasionally, in funny ways. But it's best to be like the old man, who was shot and couldn't walk anymore, and just rebuild a new life. But like I said, it's hard. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life so far.

No comments:

Web Analytics