Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Picking a sore

"It was like a ballplayer told me one time he said that if he had some slight injury and it bothered him a little bit, nagged at him, he generally played better. It kept his mind focused on one thing instead of a hundred. I can understand that. Not that it changes anything."

I don't know why this struck me the way it did. It's just that so much of what Cormac McCarthy writes I get. Even his sentence structure. Did you get that? That cadence? That ordering of the words? That uniquely American construct?

And he's so good at putting the intangibles of life into words. When something's eating at us, most of us, we tend to pick the sore until we figure it out. And then we move on. A ballplayer plays better. The rest of us just live a bit better.

No comments:

Web Analytics