Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Regrets and happiness

"What's your biggest regret in life.

The old man looked at him, gauging the question. I dont know, he said. I aint got all that many regrets. I could imagine lots of things that you might think would make a man happier. I reckon bein able to walk around might be one. You can make up your own list. You might even have one. I think by the time you're grown you're as happy as you're gonna be. You'll have good times and bad times, but in the end you'll be as happy as you was before. Or as unhappy. I've known people who never did get the hang of it."

I've been happy and I've been unhappy. The worst was in between, when I didn't feel anything at all. Happy, of course, is the best, but it can make a person afraid, and cautious, so they don't do anything...they don't act or decide anything because they're afraid to lose the happiness...they try to keep the status quo by not doing anything, but it almost seems that happiness is independent of everything and anything. Happy people just seem to be like that, don't they? They're just naturally cheerful, and they don't let anything get in the way of it.

No comments:

Web Analytics