Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Cowboy Junkies

Going to see The Cowboy Junkies tonight at the Somerville Theater. Third-row seats.

I've turned so many people on to them. I love sharing new music finds with people. Of course to some it's not new...kind of like the New World wasn't so new to the Indians.

Sue and I are going. There's one person who I'm afraid I might see there tonight. I introduced her to them a few years back...she took so much from me, not just music, and I can't think of a single thing she gave me. She's one of those people who just takes in life, and doesn't give back...as selfish as anyone can be. I actually saw her steal a beautiful handmade Christmas ornament at her office Christmas party's Yankee swap one year by pretending not to know that it was in a certain box when she actually did--she recognized the wrapping paper of the woman who made the ornament--then pretended that she didn't when one of the secretaries called her on it. (She's an actress, but not very good one...that's what makes the story sort of funny. Really good actors can get themselves out of scrapes sometimes by acting.) Nothing is safe when she's around...not a Christmas ornament, not a life, not a soul. She's ruined a few people's lives in her time...

The tickets are fairly cheap, the theater is close, and the Junkies don't come around here a lot. I'm hoping...praying...that Sue and I can enjoy this incredible band without any stain on the night. This woman won't see it like that...of course not...this quote from Catcher in the Rye is so apropos: she's as sensitive as a goddamn toilet seat.

Someday, I'd love to tell the world what really happened.

No comments:

Web Analytics