Wednesday, May 16, 2007

NIMBY

The street people here in Boston continue to fascinate me. They have such obvious problems...and repel the rest of the human race...people are frightened of them, you can see that so clearly...as if what they have, or even more, who and what they are, is catching...contagious...like a virulent form of leprosy.

A woman today was working with a few men sitting in the sun. She looked like a backpacker at first, but strode up to their little group and started working with them, talking to them gently and firmly...

She impressed me...people who get involve always do...because so many of us take the attitude of "not in my backyard." NIMBY. It doesn't hurt me, it doesn't affect me, so why should I care?

I do it everyday, I hate to say.

And so children continue to starve in Ethiopia, and others just twist in the wind...

No comments:

Web Analytics