Thursday, May 10, 2007

Love and death in the theater

At one time or another, everyone in the theater asks themselves this question: Ok, remind me again: Why do I do this?

I am so tired. For a ten-minute play. We open tonight and I didn't get home from tech until around 11:30 last night. (I slept late today for the day job; the alarm didn't go off until 6:00. Man, those birds are loud.) I was so tired last night that I garbled a line. Just incomprehensible. God, be on my side tonight, please?

We do this because we care so much about it (even though I don't know why I care so much about it) that we'd rather be acting or designing sets or lights or stage-managing than doing our day jobs that actually are supposed to have meaning but don't, even though most of the time theater doesn't pay, or it doesn't pay enough to cover even our parking tickets, even though it takes so much time away from my kids and Sue that I feel so guilty and I say I'll take a break and then when I actually do take a break I miss it so much and then I start feeling selfish.

No comments:

Web Analytics