Thursday, April 5, 2007

Greenpeace

Walking through Downtown Crossing today, minding my own business, munching on one of my favorite snacks -- fast-food french fries -- when I see a small group of people wearing green windbreakers. About the same time the lone woman in the group catches my eye. She hesitates, then breaks free and comes over to me. Hmmm...it's nice to know that some women still find me attractive, even if it is a tree hugger.

"Excuse me," she says, then launches into Greenpeace, global warming, all that. Is it me, or is she nervous? I'm wondering .

"Okay, we know about Greenpeace and we know about global warming," I said. "What do you want me to do?" I am such a man of action. Is she imagining me striking a pose on the bow of a Zodiac, fearless in the face of a Japanese fishing factory? (Aliteration can be so much fun sometimes.)

They were there to get people to join. Monthly donations. All that. I told her -- I promised her -- that I'd check the site. Which I did.

And which I'm passing on to you, now, gentle reader, thinking that this will assuage a bit of my guilt for driving a gas-guzzling pickup. (Actually, it won't. I love my truck. Face it, in that regard, I'm an ass***e.)

If your guilt is worse than mine, or at least existant, here's where you can donate.

No comments:

Web Analytics