Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm guess I'm a successful businessman

Two days ago, the 16th, I got a call from my accountant. My taxes were ready. Gulp. But as it turns out, things weren't that bad. I did owe money to both the state and the feds, but I thought it was going to be thousands. Instead, I owed a couple of hundred to each. As a matter of fact, I owed my accountant more than I did either governments.

I guess I did something right last year in my last year of business. Cut costs. (Cut spending dramatically; I still can't live within my means though. Someday.) Bring in business. Do things as efficiently as I could. Nose to the grindstone stuff, day-by-day things that, when you're in the middle of doing them you think (I thought) I was doomed, but sticking to the basics worked.

I took this legitamate office job (I don't call it a full-time job because I actually work less hours at this job than I did when I was on my own) because I wanted big agency experience, something that certain potential clients wanted, and the chance to work on some really big accounts again.

But one stipulation I gave myself was I wasn't going to go work for someone else because my own business failed. I didn't want to do it with my tail between my legs. I wanted to leave a winner. I wanted to freelance, I built a business, I did it, and now I'm ready to do something else.

The proof seems to be in the numbers.

No comments:

Web Analytics