Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Holliston High's opening day

Kathryn made starting shortstop on the JV team. Very cool. Two of her teammates from all her teams made varsity, but I hate to say it but they'll sit on the bench more than they'll see playing time. I'm really happy Kathryn will be playing JV and not varsity.

Yesterday was supposed to be their first game, but it was called because of the field conditions in Norton. Today they open their season with Quincy.

She and I hung out last night in a Chinese restaurant, chomping on chicken wings and talking softball. I coached all those years, most of the seasons, at least. Bench coach, though I did fill in for the head coach at times. I know her teammates as well as she does. Maybe I know them better in some other ways she doesn't. This one has a attitude that's going to get her in trouble. This one has trouble at home.

It's one thing that Kathryn and I have together, and some of my fondest memories of her growing up are sharing them with her on a dugout bench. One night, sitting under the lights, her playing finished for the night, and me not having to worry about too much and just shooting the s**t, spitting sunflower seeds. Playing catch and long ball in the outfield.

She's a tough little character, and more than once playing second she'd take a hit from a sliding runner. She'll see a lot more of that now that she's playing short. She seems to like it.

There were injuries. A turned ankle sliding into second, with me coaching first and giving her the signal to go for two. Another time a runner took a nail off her thumb. She came off the field with blood all over her glove and uniform. Already this season one of her teammates clocked her on the back of the neck with a bat taking a practice swing.

My job pretty much keeps me away from her games. Granted, they are in the afternoon, but having missed only a couple in my life, this season is going to hurt. I'm sure I'll get away for a couple, though. Cough, cough. I can already feel a cold coming on.

No comments:

Web Analytics