Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Border's Books and Harry Potter

I wanted to reserve a copy of the upcoming Harry Potter book for my fifteen-year-old daughter. Borders wanted name and address and email address. Maybe phone, too, but I don't remember.

"Why do you want an address?" I asked. "Are you sending out postcards when they come in?"

"No, there will be too many reservations to send anything out" the young female sales clerk said. "We need it to reserve the book?"

"Why do you need an address to reserve a book if you're not sending anything out?"

"That's the process," she insisted.

That's not the process I, or any parent who's thinking, will follow. What the heck is Border's thinking? I guess I could give my name, but that lessens the excitement for my daughter.

Just one more case of a company not really thinking about its customer base.

No comments:

Web Analytics