Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A bum's life for me

What a difference a few degrees -- or 25 or so -- in temperature and an extra hour of light can make. It's supposed to get up into the high fifties today and we just kicked into daylight savings time this past weekend. It will be nice to just go out and sit on a park bench today at noon and people watch.

Winter -- cold -- is for hibernation. For hunkering down and just surviving. It's no coincidence that the Greeks were able to form an advanced civilization. It was their weather that allowed it. With less time needed to just survive, they had time to develop mathematics, philosophy, architecture, and theater.

Sunday on the Cape. Sue had the sliders wide open to let the day in and stale winter air out. The dogs were running in and out, playing. Tater was as rambunctious and mischievous as ever. Zoe as shy. Bob was acting like a puppy again. I couldn't resist, it was almost like an instinct to grab the guitar and just play. Now I know what the birds feel on a day like that.

On Old Silver Beach we were sitting among the rocks talking and listening to the gentle water. Bob, per the classic behavior of an Australian Shepherd, lay a number of feet off where he could keep a good eye on us and lookout for anyone coming. He had found a chunk of ice --it probably has some sea rime on it -- and was eating it like a Popsicle.

For all my life I've been harped at that I should do this or that. That I'm so smart, so talented, so this, so that. But you know what? What I really want to do? What I really want to be? A beach bum. I couldn't think of a better life, living by the water, a stack of good books, a guitar, some beer. The first and last thing you see in your day is the ocean.

At least I wouldn't be hurting anyone.

No comments:

Web Analytics