Monday, March 12, 2007

Loretta Lynn finally makes good


I am leaving Mississippi in the evening rain
These Delta towns where satin gowns and the high-beam frame
Loretta Lynn guides my hands through the radio
Where would I be at times like these without the songs Loretta wrote?


(chorus)
'Cause when you can't find a friend, you still got the radio

--Nanci Griffith, Listen to the Radio

Berklee College of Music, right here in Boston, M-A, is giving “country music queen” Loretta Lynn an honorary doctorate. That’s a long way from Kentucky coal-mining country. I wonder if she ever thought, well, where the hell were you when I was really struggling? An honorary doctorate doesn’t put food in the ‘fridge, and people like Lynn know all about that.

1 comment:

KatieMadonnaLee said...

Have you ever heard her song "Woman's Prison" from the Van Lear Rose record?

To me its her best song, and overlooked as well.

check out the video on youtube,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8SboJLcWfb4

Web Analytics