Friday, March 23, 2007

Lead, follow, or get...or show a little mercy

It's a constant gripe of mine, and something I've been meaning to post for awhile but always stop myself because I always feel so mean when I'm doing it:

I know you're old, fat, tired, troubled, lost, preoccupied, you just had hip replacement surgery, you're young and self-absorbed, something, but get the hell out of the way.

On the train platform, on the sidewalks, on escalators for cripe's sake (stand to the right, for land's sake, so people can scoot up the left side; you're standing there like a load of meat on a conveyor belt), people just wandering around lost, while people like me, fast walkers, people who have got somewhere to go, are jockeying around behind you trying not to tip over like a cyclist balancing a bike at a red light.

It's the city; can't you feel it?

Or...

...or maybe that's the point. They can feel it. Maybe it's affecting them in ways that I can't feel or perceive or understand. Maybe they really are having one shitty day; the Mother of all Shitty Days.

We're all in this together. We really are.

No comments:

Web Analytics