Monday, March 5, 2007

USS John F. Kennedy -- Boston


Was in Boston yesterday (Sunday) wandering around with my daughter. The aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy was in port, its last ever stop here since it's steaming south to be decommissioned. I've seen it before, from the water in the harbor. It's pretty impressive, especially when you're looking up at it from a 22-foot sailboat. Yesterday we started to walk to see if we could take a tour, but after a while turned around. It didn't seem worth it. That part of Boston isn't very pretty, and the crowd not worth fighting.

If you've never been on board a warship like that, it's worth the experience. They are impressive, awe-inspiring pieces of war technology. It boggles the mind what they can do -- kill in the most violent ways possible, and when you're on-board or even just near them, their sheer size and complexity humbles you. I've visited the USS Massashusetts, a decommissioned battleship in Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts a number of times. I remember feeling a mix of curiosity and depression. So amazing, what the greatest minds of our century came up with. But I couldn't help thinking that it's too bad we couldn't have harnassed all that brain power and money to cure cancer or alleviate some of the suffering in the world, instead of adding to it. Now, some people would argue that I'm naive. No I'm not. I know all about the world we live in.

I'm just saying, is all, that it would be nice. I'm not saying it's practical or it will happen. I'm just saying it would be nice.

No comments:

Web Analytics