Friday, May 9, 2008

Rodrigo y Gabriela guitar tips

Here is a way-cool video (well, it is if you're into way-cool guitar players, and Gabriela especially is ranked in that group.)

George here at digital world turned me on to this vid, and I've watched it a few times and even slowed down it's hard to imagine Gabriela actually doing this. Much less me doing it. But the little bit I can play, I know the door for this. It's forgetting the instrument is a guitar, and just play. Gabriela's playing is percussive; it's almost like she's playing a drum with strings, or a guitar with a drum head.

Rodrigo y Gabriela are enjoying some success, but there was a time when they were flat broke and busking in Ireland. That's where they developed their own unique musical and entertainment style. They're used to entertaining people, almost one-on-one. You really can't categorize their music, which is one thing that I love about it. I've seen other videos where Gabriela gets pretty hot about trying to categorize what they play. To her, it's music, not some category or style that will limit who she plays.

And, you gotta admit, Gabriela and her accent is so hot. Like when she says, you have to practice like crazy.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I heard this piece today in Crate & Barrel, of all places - memory pulled me back here to hunt through your site until I could find it again.

ActionBobMarkle said...

hey christine...my, you have a good memory...i love these guys, particularly gabbie...she's just such a free spirit and she plays her music that way too...the way it's supposed to be played...

Web Analytics