Friday, May 16, 2008

Should we abolish Massachusetts state tax?


This was in the Boston Globe on Monday:

A group of antitax activists launched a campaign over the weekend to abolish the state income tax, setting the stage for a contentious public battle if the measure is added to the ballot this fall.


After pushing a similar initiative that almost passed six years ago, a group called the Committee for Small Government is back for another round, asking voters to end the income tax and save the average taxpayer $3,600 a year.

The group, led by libertarian Carla Howell, is almost certain to gather the 11,000 signatures needed to put a question on the November ballot.
To say that state officials are worried about the prospect would be an understatement.

Oh, God, this is so inviting isn't it? Every turn the government has its hand in your pocket, and there is so much of government that I think needs overhauling. I look at my pay stub and it just makes me sick looking at what both the state and federal governments combined take from me. It's just plain wrong that a person who makes what I make--barely...barely... enough to keep up--has to pay the amount of taxes that I do to support projects that I could care less about, or feel they aren't being run right.

This is one of those times when I hear myself wanting to shout from the rooftops that government is too big, it's too much in our lives, and something has gone very awry that we're at this place in time.

Maybe the best thing to do actually would be to pass something like this and cut off the legislators, because one thing they spend so much time doing is bringing money into their districts. The money's there, and whether the district really needs it or not, bringing home a big barrel of pork is how these guys get elected.

Do something drastic to change the system. Really derail the lawyers that run government.

And if you cut off this source of revenue, obviously what will happen is that property taxes will go up--way up. But I don't own property anyway because I can't afford to own it.

Hell, maybe with what I save in taxes I could use to buy a nice condominium on the water. Marina Bay in Quincy. I'd be moving up, moving on up.

No comments:

Web Analytics