Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One of these days we'll buy the (funny) farm

There's a nice little twist, isn't it?

Life gets better, and then you feel so guilty complaining.

The money would be pretty good
If a quart of milk were still a dollar
Or even if a quart of milk were still a quart




Boston is a hard town to live in. Everything is so expensive. So much more expensive than the rest of the country. And please don't throw New York or San Francisco in my face. That's two places out of the rest of the entire country.

The weather is hard. Little things just wear you down. Nothing ever goes perfectly, not that it probably would any other place. The people are just nasty. Mean.

Sue's lived all over the world, and not to put words in her mouth, but she's said when she got back to the states about four years ago, she saw how uptight and angry people always are, and she swore she'd fight it, but you can't. There are days she wants to move back to Thailand for the rest of her life.

But, this is life and this is where we are. Slowly, and now more rapidly, things are taking shape...the kitchen, the living room, life...

About seven years ago, and then the ensuing years, I described myself as a human World Trade Tower. My life just collapsed. (And ironically, it was me at the controls of the plane.)

It take a long time and a tremendous amount of energy, not to mention money, to clear away the rubble and rebuild a life. And sometimes I think, life is short. It's gotta be easier somewhere else. That's the dreamer American working here. American's always are on the move. It's in our nature. To just pick up and leave. Go somewhere and start over. We have dreams, and how many American books, movies, and plays are based on broken dreams?

My daughter said I'm always searching for something. She's right. I'm a seeker. I know that. The trouble with seekers is, we don't know what we're looking for. We're like dogs, always sniffing around. But it's what we do. It's how we are. We can't be any other way. And the feeling is, we don't know what we're looking for, but when we find it, we'll know it.

But yes, I knew it, but I do miss the country.

No comments:

Web Analytics