Monday, February 11, 2008

Putting a toe in the cesspool

For years I read three papers a day. Then I just dropped out. I dropped out of a lot of things. When your life is in shreds, it's a bit difficult to really give a shit about the minutiae of the two major political parties, and the intricacies of the international diplomacy in respect to the tribal Middle East. I mean, when you're not sure how you're going to pay your rent, no matter how hot you think she is, Condoleezza Rice just isn't going to play into your late night fantasies.

But now I'm creeping back into society, or as much of society as I feel I want. I keep asking myself if I actually want to go swimming in this particular cesspool. I'm talking the political world. Once more, the Greatest Nation on Earth is going to elect its leader, and none of them really excite me. Once again, more than anything, I'll probably be voting against someone, rather than for someone I feel passionate about.

Like looking for a neighborhood, trying to figure out where I fit in, I keep looking for that one person who represents who I am. It ain't the Democrats and it sure as hell ain't the Republicans. I keep saying you have to watch the left as much as the right. Both have their agendas and both seem to have their hands in my pocket, and there isn't a lot there. And what's there, I'd prefer to keep for myself, thank you very much.

Libertarians seem to be the closest to how I think. Low taxes. No war. Small government. Or better yet, no government. Still a collection of lawyers and lawmakers, though. Damn lawyers anyway. And idiot talk-show hosts, who lull people into thinking they're Real Thinkers, but if they were real thinkers they'd realize in about five minutes that the talk show hosts are just entertainers, paid to bring in an audience for the advertisers. They're the first who sold out.

Anyway, my pant legs are rolled up, but I'm not in the water yet.

No comments:

Web Analytics